Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Alex deserves some PRAISE

We've always said Alex is our "special" boy. But as time passes we are discovering he really is one-of-a-kind.

His speech delay is getting SO much better. It's like when he turned three, something just clicked! I of course owe it to both of his preschools. They do ALL the work. And he LOVES school! He's still behind on speech but has done leaps and bounds over the last year. We are so proud of him. I now just consider him a "late talker".

We recently learned he is a COMPLETE visual learner. We just started putting things together in our heads and it makes total sense. Thus why he would struggle with speech. Speech is not visual.

He really is a SMART kid! And believe it or not, he's starting to READ. It's like you always hear, those kids with ALL the energy or the kids with speech delays or the kids that struggle in the beginning....... Turn out to be brilliant in the end. I'm not saying Alex is brilliant by any means because he's not but he has a really good memory.

One of Alex's teachers approached me to tell me how he is doing. She is the one that pointed out that Alex learns differently. Instead of learning his ABC's (which he knows) and then learning what each letter sound makes (which he also knows) and then sounding out letters to make words. Alex just memorizes the word and doesn't forget it. 

I thought hmmmm? I wanted to test it out myself. He has been watching these site word videos for a couple of months now. They come with site word flash cards. I've never even opened up the flash cards before because why would I?  I went through the cards and he knew every single word! All 45 cards! Whatever? I was shocked! He didn't get his memory from me. I can't remember what I cooked for dinner last night.

So now his teacher sends home books for him to memorize so he can pass them off. Some of the books have the same words in them so he will pass them off even before he brings them home. It's crazy. It's crazy to listen to him read a book. He is only 3 years old. I wonder what else he has in store for us? Because I bet we get a few more surprises throughout his childhood. 

All my kids are so different. Keeps my life interesting.



3 comments:

OLIVERSONFAM said...

That's AWESOME!!
He'll end up as the next Einstein!

Brown Family! said...

k...I LOVE the last picture of Alex. So freakin' adorable! :) And, totally awesome that he can read. :)

Emily said...

Makes me so happy he's doing so great! And it gives me hope. ;)